View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 09:56 PM
dieselarchitect

they will soften up with use. some.

also weight of wheel tire combo will affect it. a larger diameter wheel and oversize tire will make more difference than you might imagine.

i had some really cool wire wheels for my 53 caddie. but i put them on the scale and found that they weighed 10# more than the stock steel wheel. i sold them. i later found a really cool set of aluminum caddie wheels off a 57 eldorado, they had steel inner rims. i was hot to put them on my 53 too. but i weighed them too and found them 10# heavier as well. so i sold them off. made some money on those. the wires i just broke even i think.

my wifes pt cruiser rode like alog wagon. 16" steel wheels chrome plated. t hey look pretty cool but are way heavy. so i bought a set of american 15" wheels and put appropriate tires on. lighter and better ride. still not a benz though.

good luck

tom w
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.