Thread: Moving to Texas
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 09:35 PM

Geez you guys know how to threadjack.

OK, I live in Plano, it's great, and it ain't gonna work for this kid. Marginal if you work in downtown Dallas, completely geographically undesirable for working in Ft. Worth. Plano is ~25 miles north and a bit east of downtown Dallas. During rush hour it takes 2 hours to drive to Ft. Worth.

First, some geography. Dallas and Ft. Worth lie on an east/west line. The city centers are about 50 miles apart. Several freeways tie them together - I-20, I-30, 183, 114, etc.

If the kid is going to work in Dallas, then Ft. Worth I suggest he live somewhere in between - the so-called "mid-cities" area. Arlington, Hurst, Euless, Bedford, etc. - there's a bunch 'O them. I don't know the area well, but these are not places with scary reputations. Decent, safe, reasonably priced housing should be available in any of them.

The aforementioned Las Colinas area is nice, but I would find it a bit far to commute to Ft. Worth. I would think he wants to be west of DFW airport if convenience to Ft. Worth is important.

If he wants to live in Dallas, a popular spot is "the village" - a collection of a dozen or so apartment complexes located near US -75 (AKA Central Xpwy) and Southwestern. Mostly young folks living there, active social scene, parties, sporting leagues, etc. It'd be hell driving over to Ft. Worth though.

I always found apartment living to transient anyways. So I'd suggest he live in Dallas until the job moves to Ft. Worth, then relocate. Probably be wanting a new place by that time anyways.

My $.01,

- JimY