View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 08:36 PM

Fixed it!!! Sorry for 3 posts in a row. :o

This is a cross post from where I posted on another thread:

Man, the history and tribal knowledge on this site is crazy! The injector cleaner I would have thought of, but the rest of the fixes were way past what I would have figured out.

I patched the broken line with a piece of vacuum line and a couple of hose clamps. (See the post above.)

The info from some of the other threads showed me where everything was.

Yesterday I changed the air cleaner.

Today I took out the overboost protection solenoid/relay. It was plugged solid. I cleaned it out with brake cleaner and reattached it to the firewall.

I cleaned out the barb fitting on the intake manifold. It was plugged solid. I cleaned it out with brake cleaner also.

I ran a hose directly from the intake manifold to the ALDA. I ran it around the parking lot a few times and didn't notice anything.

I took out the main fuel filter, then filled the new one with SeaFoam injector cleaner and installed it. The rest of the can went into the fuel tank.

It still was only running 25 second 0-60's for the first few runs. On about the 4th or 5th run I noticed that I was getting close to 60, it was no where near 25 seconds, and there was a HUGE cloud of black smoke behind me! After about 3 more runs I was down to 10-12 second 0-60's.

I think that the injectors were dirty and the ALDA was stuck from not being used for so long. Between it poping free and the injector cleaner life is good!!!

The boost doesn't really start kicking in until 3000 rpm. I'm going to run it for a week or so and see if it continues to improve. After that I tap the keg on the top of the ALDA. The plastic cap is still intact.

I'll change the clear prefilter tomorrow. It looks clean, but I've changed everything else so I might as well change it also.

I think I'll take the old owner for a spin in his old slow as heck car. (I've had it for less than a week! )

I was so happy with it working I had to come back and edit this to mention a new problem. When I turned the key off the rpms went down but the car did not die. I'll take a look where I was working and see if I can find a loose vacuum line. I must have bumped one loose.

-Jim

(Now for a few key words so that people searching can find this easier. 300D 300DT 1987 ALDA Overboost protection relay solenoid over boost banjo bolt slug no power dog no turbo no boost piece of junk)