View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

Some basic data... mv glow plug readings:

1980 240D: [ has 3 relatively new Bosch GPs and 1 Monarch GP ]
1980 300D: [GP's are a Non-Bosch mix ]
mv Readings:
"Composite" readings taken with all GP's connected in parallel !
240D... #1=9.9,..#2=10.3,. #3=9.9,. #4=8.6.................Composite=9.5
300D... #1=10.8, #2=11.6, #3=10.3, #4=7.9, #5=6.6... Composite=9.0

*As I understand it, the absolute accuracy of these mv readings is not really important so my cheap digital meter should suffice.... what's important here will be to eventually dynamically adjust these to peak/balanced mv readings, right?

The 1985 300SD data will have to come later.

Again the 240D and 300D are both geting about the same 22-24 mpg. I expect the 300SD is getting the best highway mileage. Things might improve for the 300D soon by virtue of infusion of a new/rebuilt tranny from Peter Schmid [Redwood City, CA] next week.

The 300D is currently the smoothest/quietest running engine and the 240D is the noisyest and roughest running. If nothing else I hope to get the 240D to settle down by fine-tuning the IP elements and IP-to-Engine timing.

Now I need information on how to proceed from this point. The IP-to-Engine timing I understand and I think my independent M-B shop owner is "on-board" with me on the notion of building a heavy, long-bar, tool that will clamp onto the front of the IP to facilitate this dynamic adjustment. So now I need input and/or will have to educate myself on the fine-tuning of element-to-element timing... something I do not want to jump into helter-skelter!!

Note- I picked up sone "Banana" type plugs at Radio Shack that make it a breez to connect to the GP Relay's connector to take the mv readings... individual one as well and the composite. I can supply further info on this if anyone wants.

I'm still working closely with my local M-B shopowner to try and come up with a workable piezo-electric pulse sensor timing light to quickly, dynamically check the engine/IP timing on the many diesels he sees.

Regards,
Sam Ross