View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Tokemihirotsu

Angry 1989 2.6 190E Tune-up...part two

Alright, after retracing my steps with a clear mind, and plenty of advice...I switched to copper plugs, I checked my wireset and made sure it was properly routed...distributor to the plugs, button was fine, coil plug was doing great...before I replaced the air filter housing, I gave it a test crank...
THIS IS WHAT IT DID:

1. Key in ignition
2. Buzzers / Chimes / Vacuums engaged
3. When cranked, it makes a stuttered (da-da-da-da-da-da-da) noise...like it just does not have the strength or the amperage to turn the engine over. IT wants to but it just can not seem to do it...
4. Then, the throttle body, that big butterfly that looks like it belongs on a carburetor but sits nicely underneath the air filter housing, well it started backfiring and pissing flames...guess it had to burp, no biggie, I guess I flooded it so it had to let it go somewhere, the thing is is that, I did not put my foot in it...for once.

The reason for the tune-up was beacuse I noticed that my rpm's at 80mph are sitting at 3500, when I am at a stop light the poor car would lurch and heave like it had whooping cough. The oil pressure gauge will be at '1' when I know I dumped 5QT in there, and the 'Economy' gaugeis always in the red. So I am not just some meandering female wandering in looking for a quick fix for a car, my girls and I actually work on our cars, and I would appreciate any good long lasting tips to help out as this is my first Benz...My daily driver right now is my show car...T-Type Buick Regal and it's being painted so I am sneaking driving my hubbys car...Help