View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 10:08 AM

Is my tranny done for??????

Need a little help here. I have an '83 300 D with 418,000 miles. My automatic transmission shifts fine from first to second and to third, but when it shifts to forth it slips real bad. The engine just revs. It started doing this yesterday 50 miles from home. I just kept the shifter in the "S" position and every few miles shifted up to drive and all it would do was rev. Finally after about 10 miles it shifted into high gear and work perfectly the rest of the home. When I left for work last night the same thing happened but after about a half mile it shifted to high gear. The same thing happened this morning also when coming home from work. Once it gets to high gear everything works fine. Any suggestions??? or do you think the tranny might be worn out with 418,000 miles on it. I checked the fluid level and it was full. I changed the tranny fluid and filter 15,000 miles ago. I really don't want to take this to a dealer since the car isn't worth much. I hate to park this thing because it the engine runs like a champ. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys.