View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450slcguy
But the reality is we all live in that neighborhood, we just don't know about it until someone gets busted.
Wow man, that's like, poetry or something Isn't this kind of how all laws work? Er, trust me when I tell you I get to see evidence of a lot of prostitution--but not in my tree-lined, two college, fenced in neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450slcguy
Having been to Amsterdam many times, I can tell you that alot of the locals don't approve of some of the laws, but tolerate them because it's has regulated and controlled alot of street crime that otherwise would flurrish.
No need to get cliche about Amsterdam. I have two high school buds that live in a houseboat on the Amstel river--used to get there a good bit. Most of the people I know in Amsterdam either moved there because of the laws or are proud to live in such a liberal, hands off manner. Almost none of them ever spend time in the Rossebuurt either. My point is that while Amsterdam is a beautiful city, the red light district, along with the heroin addicts, AIDS patients and other crap that walks around in the open there is not evidence that 'legalizing' or tolerating works. You can't own a handgun in Amsterdam, think that has anything to do with lack of street crime? Ever check the bike stealing statistics? They don't arrest people for selling pot (too often) there, you think that means the trade doesn't flourish? How about the Smart shops? Ever been to one of them on one of your many trips? And on, and on, and on......