View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Moderating, Eh?

Brake fluid leak while changing pads

Just a quick question -

I was replacing the front rotors and pads on my 1989 300E and as I was compressing the caliper piston, a small bit of fluid leaked out at the very end, from around the piston. I used a C-clamp and the old pad face against the piston to compress it. I've done quite a few brake jobs and I was careful about compressing the piston. I had left the brake fluid reservoir top slightly open to allow for the fluid to rise.

I had to compress the piston fully to make room for the new pads. At the very end of the compression - with the piston almost fully in - that's when a bit of fluid leaked out. The fluid leaked out from the outside perimeter of the piston (between the piston and caliper).

I wiped the fluid off and it didn't leak anymore. I installed the brakes and test drove the car. Brakes are firm and solid - everything feels fine.

I haven't noticed any leaking fluid under the car or on the driveway.

Is this something I should be concerned about or was it just a bit of fluid getting forced past the piston seal when I compressed it?

TIA!
1998 E430 - sold
1989 300E - 333,000 Km - sold
1977 280E - sold
1971 250 - retired

"And a frign hat. They gave me a hat at the annual benefits meeting. I said. how does this benefit me. I dont have anything from the company.. So they gave me a hat." - TheDon