View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 12:26 PM
California Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMILS
It's my understanding that the reason for replacing the airbags when they reach a certain age is because they may FAIL to deploy when needed.

At my dealership I get a handful of "accidental" air bag deployments every year. I've ALWAYS found underbody damage to be the cause. In each case the owner had no idea they hit anything, most likely because the airbag deploys just milliseconds after striking an object. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've NEVER seen an MB airbag deploy for no reason. I'm guessing your dealer has had similar experience. They'll give the car a good going-over, and it won't surprise me if they find the cause relatively quickly. Let us know what they do.
I would have to agree with you, I have yet to see an unintended/false deployment of the SRS system in an MB car without a reasonable explanation. With 20+ years of exposure to the product I would tend to think the reason for the unexplained deployment might be the result of:
  • A sudden impact to the transmission tunnel
  • An inappropriate electrical repair/installation
A severely worn flex disc, more often than not, can be the most common cause for the SRS system to suddenly "Deploy." It would stand to reason that a driver would be in a state of shock and not realize that something had struck the underside of the vehicle. More so if the stereos volume was in an elevated state at the time of the impact.

Just my .02