View Single Post
Old 09-07-2001, 06:53 AM
Registered Diesel Burner
I think most people here would advise you to turn the engine over either with the starter (careful with this - it might actually start) or by turning the engine with a big breaker bar using the CRANKSHAFT nut. Trying to turn over the engine using the power steering pully/nut puts too much force on the power steering pump in my opinion. It might be able to take it - but I KNOW the crankshaft can stand it.

I'm pretty sure you can turn the engine over as many times as you can stand to, it should not impact the adjustment of valves you have already checked/adjusted. Think about it - what's the engine going to do when it runs anyway? So if you miss getting one camshaft lobe & valve alignment just right, make a note and go on to the next one - come back to it on the next turn.

You bring up a good point about whether the table is right or not. My intention on the upcoming valve check is to just use the camshaft lobe position visually and NOT make any attempt to watch degrees of turn. The small side of a camshaft lobe is at the same height for a relatively large number of degrees - eyeball estimation of what's shown in the diagram should be close enough.

This comes from years and years of adjusting the valves on old Honda motorcycles - basically the same concept.

Are you aware of and did you get the helpful special tools for this job? You can do without them (so I have heard) but I got a pair of curved wrenches to make the job easier. Here's what they look like:
Attached Thumbnails
Help. Setting Valve Clearances always did confuse me....-vwrench.jpg