View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 05:38 AM

Transmission problems 1990 300SE

Always had wierd problems with this car's transmission (722.351). Been saving up a bit for all the parts to do a complete engine + tranny rebuild. But of course, things never time themselves how you want them. Tonight, driving home on the freeway, I realized I was at 5000+ rpms for 70 mph, NOT normal by any means. Took my foot off the pedal, seemed to engage a bit, then went back to just revving up. Got it to peddle along at 45mph until I was able to get off my exit. Checked transmission fluid level, it was correct. Replaced fluid + filter only a few thousand miles ago. Transmission modulator was replaced with the new updated style at the same time.

It seems that while I can accelerate, I can't get the transmission to hold the engine's speed. It's as if I had a clutch made of glass.

So first off, what is causing this specifically? I know I need to get a new transmission (it has a few other problems), but why did this happen all of a sudden?

Thinking of going to a Pick a part tomorrow and grabbing a used transmission so I can rebuild mine. What's the best way to remove the transmission on this car? Dropping it (seems pretty straightfoward) or pulling it out the top with the engine attached (ugh, not something I can do in a day).

Also, how much do these w126's transmissions weigh? Need to know which friend to bring to the junkyard.