View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 06:08 AM

Things worked out, sort of, but not.

I installed new rotors, distributor caps and air filters but don't think that the problem was fully solved. I did at first, because the engine started up with no stalling and I drove it a few miles without any problems.

Since I have given the car to my son, I waited until he got home to show him my work and results and we took a drive. I stopped at a local parts store to buy some odds and ends and when we got back into the car only 20 minutes later, and started it up, the following occurred: the RPM in park surged from a normal idle of about 1000 to 1500-2000 and then the engine seemed to slow back down and surge back up between those values for about 30 seconds before dying.

Started it back up and got the same.

Decided to rev the engine a bit and see what would happen. After that, I just put it drive, and kept my foot on the brake so the car wouldn't lurch and waited. The engine stayed alive and we took it on the freeway to see if that might help things. We stopped about 10 miles later, went into another store, came out 10 minutes later. This time, no problems.

If the problem is intermittent, with no predictability, what might it be?

Thanks.

LTurchin California