View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:18 PM

This weekend's wrenching

Seeing as I’m waiting for Rover Parts to arrive from England and Canada. This weekend was spent working on the 78 Euro 6.9. Last week, I pulled an exhaust pipe from a RHD 450SEL at the local pick and pull. This week, I installed it. What an effort. The exhaust system on the car was very rusty (like the rest of the car). Every place you would touch it, it would disintegrate. The muffler was also not the original and has a Y joint leading to a single pipe that goes all the way back in a straight line.

We cut the old pipe off using an angle grinder with a cutting disc at the front of the Y joint. Hoping to weld, I grabbed the left side front pipe (coming from the header), and it turned into dust.

The next step was to go to Advance Auto parts for some improvising. We bought two 45 degree pipes and a couple of joint pipes and assembled the system while it was off the car. It all lined up pretty well. So we broke out the welder and welded the pipes together. This was the first time I have used a MIG welder and I was pretty impressed at how easy it is. For anyone who has never welded before, go out and buy a welder. It’s a lot of fun!

It took some effort mounting the system on the car, and every time we touch the front pipe with the welder, we would blow a hole. We eventually got everything mounted up and the hangers in place and cranked it. While it still blows a little, it sound a lot better then before. I will make an effort to repair it at a later date, right now I’m glad to be able to drive it so that that I can move it around without driving the neighbors nuts.

The engine appears to work well. It doesn’t appear to like to Rev though, I assume that could be as a result of the linkages being slack.

This car needs a hell of a lot of work. It has been seriously bodged in the past, unlike my other 6.9 which while it was seriously rusty, it was totally unmolested.

Next week I’ll probably get back to the Rover, but I will be making an effort to start working on the 6.9 as I go along. Right now I need to gather parts. Mainly body panels, most of which have to be cut from the car which makes it difficult.

I will probably rent a gas powered compressor and head to the pull a part with my air tool and go to work on one of the multiple W116’s.

Watch this space

Al