Thread: Rusted floors
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 08:18 PM

Massachusetts must be the road salt capital of the world, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth
i have repaired a couple of 240s with heavy guage aluminum installed with sheet metal screws and or pop rivits. i make a pattern from thin cardboard and take it to the sheet metal shop and have them bend the thickest aluminum they can bend. it is a little less than 1/8" thick. then i butter all around the joints so it is all water proof. between the steel and al too. first though i cut all the rusty metal out and rust bind whatever is rusty and left. it will last as long as you want it to. the two tricky places are under the seat mount and at the place the seat belt anchors. these need particular care to not weaken. multiple layers if needed.

welding into these cars with the thick rubberized undercoating would be pretty tricky. and since they arent ever going to be collectable not worth the expense, unless you can do it yourself and just want to., you know for the love of it.

tom w

I can literally see the road from the back seat, so no more "kids" in the back until this gets settled, eh?

I guess what I'm curious is what you hanging this stuff onto on the bottom?

Also heavy aluminum isn't cheap, so I'm guessing it was a few hundred bucks just for that, eh?