View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 09:13 AM

There are two things to prevent such an event and none have to do with the manufacture of the car. First never ever leave a car running with a child in it and no one in the drivers seat or watching said child. Try good parenting skills. Nothing against you or your wife but this happens all the time and the older vehicles of course do not have the interlock feature that the newer ones do. I think it was 94-96 area that they mandated this feature but I would have to look it up.

Second thing you can do is get the wife to use the Parking Brake, that is what it is there for and it will hold the car or at least slow it to a very slow crawl. A small child would be hard pressed to be able to push the button to drop the brake handle.

And I might add that it is against the law to leave a child un-attended in a car. You do that on a military base if in the service and you will be thrown in the brig the second the MP's notice. I knew a person whose wife was when she left the child in the running car in the parking lot to go get a pack of cig's! She was only gone a minute or so but the MP saw it and that was all it took. They take being a responsible parent pretty seriously just liek everyone else should.

1986 190E 2.3 Black, Auto, Mods to come soon.....