View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 11:30 AM

I live in California. There r small hills even on highways. To improve my consumption, I always switch off my A/C, if I have it on, anytime I go up a hill.

Biggest wear and tear and, increase in consumption, is starting the vehicle. If stopping for a short time, leave the engine idling. Use a separate key to lock the door while u r away.

It is a diesel. If u feel u need to get 5.0 secs - 0-60 mph, everytime u take off, u r driving the wrong car. Vehicle sympathy is important.

Additives r important. Once in a while, something to clean the injectors, piston rings (I use Lucas fuel additive that does both).

Never park this car uphill, nose up. Coolant may leak out from the expansion tank. U could also loose transmission fluid - there is a part at the back of the transmission ( if the o-ring is old ). It is also a good idea to replace the o-ring at the base of the oil dip stick tube, for cars this old (U do not have to drain the tranny fluid to do this. U will lose some fluid. Replace the fluid when u r done.) Many owners do not realise this and wonder why their transmisson failed.

I feel the bottom panels, under the car, do not let u see early enough if there is a drip or leak. I have both bottom panels sitting in the garage. I would not have realised there was a leak at the rear of the transmission ( I was parking nose up ). I saw the tell tale signs on the driveway. It is also easier to tell if u r leaking any diesel.

Finally listen to ur car. Once in a while pop the hood up and listen to the engine.

As a side note, get in the habit of idling ur car for at least a minute or two, especially after a long trip, before switching off the engine. This helps cool down the engine and extends the life of the engine.