View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Patriotic Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella
I had a similar problem with my 300 SDL, and I can't remember the technical terms for the parts there, but I'll do my best to describe the problem and how to fix it.
If you remove the injector, there is a housing underneath, basicly from a casual glance, it looks like a pipe with a slot cutout on each side. when you remove this, there is a washer underneath to seal it. If this washer is cracked, it will allow compressed gas to escape through the threads. This can cut the threads, causing a BIG problem. The washer was a $5 part from the dealer. Not too hard to change. All you need to take the housing out is a 1/4 flat iron that is the width of the housing, and a crescent wrench to turn it with. Just don't turn it back in too tightly when you're reassembling it.
I was wondering if it might be something as you describe. I'm not real familiar with the anatomy of the injector as it sits in the engine. But since many of mine have the bubbles I thought this might be indicative of all of them working loose over time or a washer degrading over time. I think that I remember reading somewhere that there is a crush washer under each injector. Of course, I could have made that up - I don't know. What's the opinion from the forum? Do you think that something might work loose over the course of a 1/4 million miles? I'm thinking that I should probably just order six washers or whatever they are and re-install the injectors. Seems like a kinda straightforward job...