View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.E.Haiges
Craig,

When I notice a loss of power, I always give the primary fuel filter a quick test before I replace it: I blow into it and if fuel squirts out its good and ready the be reinstalled. OK, Diesel fuel doesn't taste good, but its better than gasoline, no burning sensation. LOL

Now its time to R&R the secondary filter. And if that doesn't fix the problem, its time to check the fuel tank screen.

The above has worked every time for me. Reason it happened at all was somewhere because I got fuel contaminated with fungus. Biobor fixed that but some of the dead fungus is still in the fuel system and once in a while it plugs one of the filters, but never more than one at a time.

P E H
I agree, I do the same thing, but on a new car I would initially change all the filters as PM. It's more difficult to detect a loss of power on a car you don't know. As I said, when I first got my car, I had a lose of power that I didn't even know about until I changed the filters. I have had to change my filters several times on the road over the last 175K miles, I assume I've gotten some some contaminated fuel someplace.

Now, I do the same as you on my cars. I don't change the filters unless I detect a power loss. I always carry spares, and I usually change them both, just because it's easier to do them both at once. However, if I bought a new car, I would change the filters just to get a good baseline for that car.