View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 07:02 PM

Oil in the vacuum lines

My '83 300D turbodiesel has vacuum problems (not shutting down, rough transmission, bad door locks). Though I might have some leaks, the biggest and most immediate problem in getting this fixed is the oil in my lines.I have been searching for the past couple of weeks on how I might go about fixing the vacuum system, but haven't had any luck for my symptoms. I know there are a million posts that talk about both problems, but I think my problem might be a little different.

Most posts have said that the shut off valve (specifically a broken shut off valve diaphragm) is the only place that oil can get in the system. Symptoms supporting the "bad shut off valve" theory are the following:
1. Oil in the lines
2. Car has to be turned off from under the hood.

However, symptoms that make me think it might be something else are the following:

1. There is less oil in the vacuum lines around the shutoff valve than there in other places (i.e. line coming off the vacuum pump)
2. I can attach my MightyVac to the shut off valve and provide some vacuum and it will shut off.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Really, if somebody could let me know if there are any places besides the shut off valve that can let oil into the system that would be huge a step in the right direction.