View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Ferrologist

Thumbs up I'm in love! The W116 300SD is awesome!

Wow! I really really like this car!

Met the sellers, test drove and crawled all over it before handing over the check. Body is in great shape with just a couple palm-sized dents that didn't damage the finish, which is original and glossy. No rust whatsoever and the interior is in good to very good condition. MB Tex, tobacco brown and the dash has a dash-mat and only a couple minor cracks.

The issues that immediately presented themselves are a leaking valve cover and a CCV system in dire need of attention. Needs a rack damper, but otherwise runs well with good power. Drove it at a constant 70 - 75 home, about 45 miles with no issues other than an occasional puff of smoke which is the turbo ingesting what the CCV system wasn't handling properly. Big dead spot in the steering, shocks questionable. Rear glass leaking which has ruined the rear deck covering but still no rust, so I'll gladly pay a good glass installer to put in a new seal. Of course the climate system isn't doing anything, but it would've been too good to be true if it did work! LOL! Lighting, electrical all good with the exception of the tach, clock and no odometer.

So I've got my work cut out for me, but now I'll need to part with the 4-speed '82 300D. Easy come, easy go!

Here's the original auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4653642345

Just the MB's: '82 300DT (stick), '81 240D, '80 300SD, '80 300D, '81 240D Manual