View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 12:59 AM

New update

Well, I have more news, but this time it makes no sense. First, new shut off valve that I put in yesterday is no longer working when I give it a vacuum with the MityVac. That is strange b/c I had it working perfectly with the MityVac as early as this morning. I guess I'll have to take it apart and see if the linkage has come undone somehow. Next, I traced a vacuum line problem to a four way splitter that comes off the booster vacuum hose and splits to the vacuum check valve (valve for locks), the green line (goes into the firewall for climate control system), and the brown line (goes into firewall to ingnition switch). The interesting thing here is that the splitter is not leaking, it gets 20" of vacuum, but when all three lines are plugged in each line barely registers getting a vacuum (I checked each one, one at a time while the other two lines were plugged in). Next, I tried bypassing the three way splitter and got 20" to each of the three lines. When I tried this the door locks didn't work (both lines from the check valve had 20"), the shutoff valve got 15" of vacuum but still didn't work, and the climate control system finally opened some of the vents that hadn't ever worked. So next step was to put each line back into the four way splitter, but this time I would do them one at a time and seel of the other openings with golf tees. When I did this I got the same results as bypassing the system. Suspecting a leak in the door locks, I tried putting the other two lines (green and brown) back in while sealing off the check valve line (aka door locks). When I did that the climate control no longer worked. Congrats if you have gotten to this point without being utterly confused.

Anyways, I have a mess and think I have gotten a lot of clues, but still can't solve the vacuum mystery. Right now, I'm pretty sure I have a leak in my door lock lines, but beyond that I can't figure out why 20" of vacuum isn't enough to work both the shutoff and the climate control vents. Tomorrow I will try again.