View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenbg
I dont know, but the head was not even at all. I bought the car last year with the broken engine. But the 350 in a G-class is well known of overheating. Thats why I thought the 300 would be better. Mercedes never fitted the 300TD into the G-class.

I found used heads from about 800 dollars.. Have todo some more checking tomorrow. Thanks for the advice..
603.xxx cylinder heads from the '86 - '87 300T/TD are known for cracking. Mostly the original #14 caasting but even a #20 head failed for a crack
But most people won't tell you or don't know that many of the aluminum heads (also used in gass engines!) have failed because of leaking head gaskets, or the engines were overheating and people didn't promptly replace their radiator or even bother to chem flush the existing ones, or the radiator plastic necks cracked and the coolant ran out, or the water pump impellers were eaten up by corrosion like the one GSXR pictured in a thread on his many experiences with these engines. ANd some failed for ruptured heater hoses. Anything that causes loss of pressure will contribute to overheating. Then there is the Nasty Trap Oxidizer. My belief is that this also contributed to head failure, that is a known cause for overheating. No one connects this item to head failures but it there and is a known factor in the '87 diesels.

There are lots of #14 heads still in service at over 250K miles (I can attest to personally owning 2 of them) and more than few have over 350K miles and are still running strong! If you get a good one its likely to be ok as long as it wasn't grossly overheated. If you find one that is still relatively flat and passes a pressure check it will probably work out fine. If it is warped serioulsy I would be cautious and I would never buy a cracked one and try to weld it (even if it was free!)

Last edited by dieseldiehard; 07-06-2006 at 07:51 PM.