View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 10:30 PM

Kevin,

I wouldn't say you are a sucker for buying the car. It looked fine in the pics and they had decent feedback. I sympathize with you having gotten a bit shafted in the deal, however.

The car was not too far from me and sounded good so I went to test drive it. The things I remember include:

The speedometer was definetly replaced.
It had new paint (had body filler in the passenger rear quarter).
Interior was pretty nice, but the climate control and radio console had been apart.
Shifted smooth and drove quite nice (had a new brake booster and stopped on a dime!).
A/C was not working then although the conversion was only a few days old.
Cruise control actuator was disconnected.

Also, it made a hell of a racket when cold. It definetly needs cam followers (lifters). They run about $19 each (8 total). Not to hard to install, but you do need a few special tools (valve spring compressor, etc.). My highest milage 190 (392,000) has never been opened up short of 1 set of lifters and valve stem seals at about 230,000. It is about due again, but still runs great. I run Castrol 15W40 and the previous owner did as well (I've owned for 80,000 miles).

All in all, it actually is a good looking car that just needs some TLC. If I had to guess, given the interior condition and the slight engine needs it probably has about 250,000 on it. The lifters generally last for about 200,000 so that is part of my basis. Trust me, you will grow to love not having to adjust valves every 15,000 (as on the 240D)!!

Again, don't worry. I know you didn't get the car as advertised, but you did get one of the better ones left as these things tend to put on the miles!

Klaus
'16 Dodge Ram 3500 - Cummins w/6-speed
'68 Mustang fastback
'55 T-bird
‘63 Studebaker Hawk