View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD8CDH
Hi,

I am having a little problem with the keys in my '83 240D too.

The round headed one works in the ignition and the doors and the square headed one only workes in the passanger door and ignition. Neither will even insert all the way in the glove box or trunk lock.

Is the Valet key cut different or have a different blank cross section? Or what else might be the problem?

Thanks

Ron
'83 240D
The square headed one should be the master key and should work everywhere. The round one should work for everything except the trunk and glove box (at least that is what I read -- I dont have one and have never used valet parking anyway). It does seem strange that the master key is not working in the glove box or trunk or in the driver's door. But your saying that they don't even insert all the way might be a clue. When I cleaned my driver's door lock it was all packed with grime and especially the little cutout that the tip of the key slides into. It kept the key from going in all the way. This was very awkward to clean but you can do it if you work at it. This might be the trouble with the trunk and glove box.

My lock looked like it was packed with graphite and the locksmith I went to the other day told me to avoid it.

I think I would start first by removing your driver's door lock and seeing if it is gunked up. At the very least you can see why your valet key works but not the master. Follow bgkast's DIY and my little addendum too. Then you can move on to the trunk and glove box. I dont know how to service those but I bet some others here do. Or you could just figure it all out as you go (this is my prefered way of doing things ).

1984 300d 223k
1994 Jeep Cherokee 2.5L 88k

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've added some special modifications myself." -- Han Solo

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?" -- Princess Leia