View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 12:51 PM
No crying in baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC
Hello All

My CV ( constant velocity ) joints started making that dreadid clicking sound agin. So I knew it was time to jack up the rear and get out the grease.

I took off what was left of the old duct tape strips, that I had put around the CV seals about 3000 miles ago. Scooped out some of the old grease, and started anew.

This time I got my finger into the joint in such a way that I could force grease far down into the CV. I cannot think of a way to show or tell you how, but I figured I would mention it. I got about a half pound of grease into each joint.

But the trick came later when I was putting the duct tape back on what is left of my seals.

I figured out how to get the tape onto the seals in one long continuous strip.

I realized if I started the tape going around the joint, and then turned the tire with my hand, that the axle would spin and slowly unspool the tape off the roll, and onto the joint, just where I wanted it.

Instead of several short strips of tape like the last time, I was left with one long continuous strip of duct tape that covered the entire seal.

I was so pleased with my handiwork, that I decided to take some pictures and post them to the bord with this message. ( images below )

This bit of engineering is not for the ASC certified mechanic, but I wanted to get a few more miles out of my CV's before replacement. ( they are quite expensive ) It has worked pretty well so far and I hope the creative ductaping makes this go around last even longer.

Long live Red Green, the duct tape king !

Thank you all.
RichC

Rich- rigging of any kind involving the steering or wheels makes me nervous---just had my front end redone by Peter the best mechanic in vienna, va. Nice photos by the way.