View Single Post
Old 09-19-2001, 01:38 AM

When I discussed the problem with the fuel tank being right below the medical kit I was talking about my '77 300D and applies to the 123 body style and any other body style with the same configuration. Other body styles, like yours, would appear to allow a box to be built under the medical kit.

For sub box design get the book entitled "How To Design and Install High Power Car Stereo" by Joe Pettitt a very excellent book which explains car stereo design/installation in everyday language with lots of pictures, making enclosures, how to do installs, etc., etc. Plus, it has very detailed technical info about sound and the car environment. My library has copies, and I've also seen it at the large bookstores where you can go and read it but not make copies. Another good source is Crutchfield's web site.

Why do you want to use two 8" subs when one 10" or perhaps 12" sub would be better?

Subwoofer frequencies are mono and only one sub is needed. When CD's were first introduced in the mid 1980's the music industry agreed that, among other issues, frequencies below 400 Hz are to be re-mastered as a mono signal for all recordings dating back to 1967 (when the first stereo recordings were first introduced). Unless you have tapes or CD-R's of mid 1980's or earlier recordings that you will play on your stereo, then one sub will fit your needs.

Also, if you are not looking for back breaking bass then a free air sub that does not require a box will fit your needs. It is a lot easier to mount where a medical kit is located (or at least where my med kit is located). Also, it has a neutral or more natural sound compared to some sub's mounted in boxes.

Also, unless your Kenwood has a built in crossover network with an amp for a sub then you will need another amp to drive your sub. Sub frequencies begin at about 100-125 Hz and lower - purists will say 60-75 Hz, but we're talking cars and not a room. Most separate amps come with a built in crossover or there are some requiring a separate crossover. Read my reply about this subject in the original thread about mounting a sub where the med. kit is for more info and the above mentioned sources.

Hope this helps.

Tom

1977 300D: 300,000+ miles

American Honda: Factory Trained Technician & Honor Grad.
Formerly:
Shop Foreman;
Technical Advisor to Am. Honda;
Supervisor of Maintenance largest tree care co. in US for offices in Tex.

Last edited by tcane; 09-19-2001 at 02:02 PM.