Thread: Left Laners
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2001, 04:15 PM
trent

Left Laners

Another few trips on the freeway today, and as usual, there are a few idiots who do not seem to know what the left lane is for. They will sit in the passing lane, and dawdle along paying no attention to traffic behind them. When they do notice the furious guy flashing his lights, riding his rear bumper, many times they still do not move over.
I am curious to know what some of you guys do when faced with this situation. There has been some posts before regarding this, but I wonder if anyone has a solution (other than a missile launcher, I already thought of that).
It seems that some people simply do not understand how a hwy/freeway works. No amount of left signal light, hi-beam flash, horn honking etc seems to clue them in.
If there is anyone who is this type of person (I would think that anyone in a MB is not of this type, as there is generally more intelligence behind the wheel of a Mercedes) and you could explain why it is necessary to sit in the left lane when you are not passing someone, I would be very interested in hearing the reason.
If someone has invented a way to get these morons out of the way, please share.
I have come up with a couple myself to get the ball rolling.
I have thought of mounting a blade, similar to a cowcatcher on the front of trains, or like a snowplow, that could be retracted under the front bumper when not in use. This would allow for the "sweeping aside" of the clown in front. This could also be used in conjunction with the missile launcher, as there would likely be some debris. Problem is lack of space on the front end of the CLK.
The other idea (far less dramatic and destructive)is a low power AM/FM transmitter that could broadcast over ALL radio channels, thereby allowing for instructions to be given through the offending vehicles' radio (if they have the radio on). This would also have the added benefit of letting all vehicles in the immediate vicinity to recieve the same instructions and perhaps prevent them from blocking the left lane in the future.
In order to educate, I am building a sign, one of the LED programmable type, to sit in the rear window area, with several messages. EG: "Left lane=passing lane" or "Slower traffic keep right" or "Keep right except to pass" just like the huge signs at the side of the road that they don't seem to be able to read.

And then of course, there is always the good 'ole missile launcher.