View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy
I have seen a few WVO cars, only one was done well. Most seem to be shot and have systems done on the cheap, back yard engineer type systems.
I don't disagree with you. Iv'e seen those cars too. And I've also seen some diesel mercedes (some on this forum) that have been "converted", backyard-engineer-style, to water/methanol injection, or else hacked up to put in an intercooler, or modified to use a K&N filter with a homemade oil seperator. Some of these operations require more hacking than the average WVO conversion and none are exactly risk free when it comes to the life of the engine. All any of it gets you is a bit more horsepower too. But the responses to this kind of modding are mostly positive. Most poeple think it is cool. Hell, so do I. I might even do the air cooler thing myself.

Is it a shame when a good car is ruined by WVO? Of course. It's also a shame when a good car is ruined because somebody thought they could get better performance by tweaking the ALDA and bypassing the overboost protection, etc. and end up overdoing it.

Quote:
They all seem to smell as well, frankly I don't find the odor that spilled oil causes pleasant.
I've allways thought diesel somke smells bad. I think probably 95% of America thinks it's dirty and smells bad too. At least that's the impression I get when I see all the gasoline cars people drive. And I've never really seen anybody stop and take a big, deep, pleaseant breath of diesel smoke as a city bus passes by. But stinky diesel smoke is something most diesel benz people embrace. And after having my 300d for a little bit, I have to admit that I am getting used to the smell of diesel. Someday I might like it. And so I can see where greasers might come to enjoy the smell of WVO. My gandpa used to talk about how one man's ***** could be another man's shoeshine. That's all I am really trying to say too.

I mean, for some people speed/performance is the thing. And they do everything short of bolting on a jet engine to try to achieve it. Others want free fuel and/or a clear consience and are willing to wade around in vats of lard for it. And some guys would glue the original window sticker back on if that would bring their car closer to stock form. Debating which way is the right way is like arguing religion. It is pretty much pointless and will only serve to irritate all parties involved.

1984 300d 223k
1994 Jeep Cherokee 2.5L 88k

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've added some special modifications myself." -- Han Solo

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?" -- Princess Leia