View Single Post
Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg280
Hey guys. My A/C just starting acting up. The system is charged full, no leaks. I found when stopped or when in park, the A/c compressor cycle on/off/on/off/on/off etc etc. I suspect the low/high pressure switch is shutting down the compressor due to excessive high pressure. While driving, however, it works fine. I noticed my Aux fans no longer come on. The fuse is not blown. The red switch on the receiver drier is working. When I short the red switch terminals, I can hear a click in the fuse box from a relay. I took the relay apart and it looked fine. Its not a Klima relay but more so a standard issue relay with two big relays inside it. I dont suspect the problem to be there, should I? I know the aux fans work because they were just on today when my temp guage ran hot.

I have no idea where to go from here? Can anyone help me?
A while back I had a problem where the AC would only blow cold air on the highway. In traffic I'd get warm air.
Did you check the fuse on the relay (can't remember if it is blue or green). To access this you need to remove some screws to get to the second half the fuse box. See post #6 on this thread:
95 E300D high engine temp only with ac on.
Replacing that fuse fixed my A/C for 2+ years.

However recently I had a similar problem to what you are describing with my car. I checked that fuse and it was fine. AC was blowing warm, compressor would engage, but the aux fan would not come on. I changed the ceramic ballast resistor for fun and it didn't help. I took the car into the shop. It was low on "freon." They added some and the air cond. worked again. They added dye but could not find a leak. After that the car was in the shop for a couple of weeks to work on a glow plug issue. I picked up the car tonight. Turned on the AC and everything was fine. Drove for about 10 minutes and AC started blow hot air again! I stopped by the auto parts store and bought a pressure gauge. Seemed to be plenty of "freon" in the system. Drove home and parked it. About an hour later I started the car and turned on the A/C...cold air again and the low temp fans operated as normal. So there is a gremlin in there somewhere.

My car is a 1995 E300D so I suspect the AC systems are the same...