View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Kyle Fitzpatrick

Emergency!...Road trip in 2 days!

Hello all,

Wow, my '92 300E w 130k is really killing me. The car saga started about about three weeks ago when the transmission pump gave up the ghost. Since then it has been constant repair.

My current problem goes something like this...

After replacing the transmission with a used 84k number I drove the car around for about three days without trouble including one journey around 200 miles. Two days ago I was driving the car and went around a corner and the car stalled and would not restart immediately. After allowing the car to sit for 5 minutes it restarted. As it was low on gas I filled it up and took it home. It drove fine the whole way.

Yesterday I tried to drive it but it made it about one block before it died. I was going to pull out from a stop sign when it choked out and died. Again, after letting sit for a few minutes it enough to limp home.

I have noticed that the can sometimes idel but when the thottle is cracked it dies out. Sometimes it won't start at all, just galloping like it wants to start. I should also mention that there have been times in the past in extreme cold temperatures where this car has exhibited these same symptoms.

The car has had good maintenance while in my keep. Recent plugs, wires, cap rotor, synthetic oil etc etc.
I have a strong white spark both at the coil wire and the #1 cylinder. I can hear fuel pumps running but don't know if both are running or what the pressure is.

Extensive search of the forum for this problem points to OVP relay, MAS/Fuel Pump relay, and throttle microswitch.

The fuse in the OVP is good and it does not "rattle" when shaken. I pulled the MAS and resoldered all the connections on the board, no help. I have not yet checked the microswitch, but it seems unlikely that it would prevent the car from starting. My overwhelming feeling is that this problem is fuel related, specifically fuel management.

Does anyone have some diagnostic advice? I am going to check the deadhead pressure from the fuel pumps but I do not know the accepted values.

Please help, I am supposed to leave on a month long road trip in this car on Friday morning.

Thanks in advance.

1969 300SEL 6.3
1992 300E
1994 E320 Touring