View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retmil46
What about a Mann and Hummel Provent 200 CCV filter? Little bit pricey at $140, but from what I've seen they work like a charm.

I've been using one on my other diesel, an '05 Liberty CRD. The 2.8 L I4 in it has more snort (160 hp, 290 ft lbs) than my recently acquired '87 300D, and has a 3/4" hose to the intake for a CCV connection. This beast has so much blow by and such a POS oil separator in the valve cover that in less than 10K miles people have had the inlet and outlet hoses and the intercooler itself completely coated with oil on the inside.

I put on one of the Provents at 3000 miles, and at 12500 miles my intake system is still oil free. I have clear nylabraid on the outlet of the Provent going to the intake system, to see if anything is getting thru, and it's still clean.

It has a drain on the bottom to which you can attach a hose and bottle to catch all the oil. Or if you feel like doing the work, you can connect the drain line such that the oil drains back into the sump.

I'm in the process of installing one on the '87 300D right now. After i saw the mess dripping off the bottom of the air intake boot and running down the side of the engine, didn't take me long to decide to order a second one.
This is what I am leaning towards too. But I'll buy a $19 cheapo oil seperator instead. There are some chromed ones that are spendy and look really nice. But it would be the shinyest thing in my engine compartment, so it would look out of place...

Running a line down to the oil pan wouldn't be hard at all and it would let me get rid of the metal one there now which just clanks around mostly.

1984 300d 223k
1994 Jeep Cherokee 2.5L 88k

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've added some special modifications myself." -- Han Solo

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?" -- Princess Leia