View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat

The 119.970 and .980 is probably the most robust, toughest and powerful motors ever to be put in production by MB. I keep two on the bench as a hobby, I have never seen an internal failure of a 119. I have attended factory (NJ) V8 classes, albeit not specifically 119 (not available). Comparing the 119 to the in-line six is similar to a 2cyl Yugo motor to the 1400hp RR Merlin.
Not sure that I agree with you there. The 6cyl engine found in the 140 has been produced for many years before the 140 even existed and is quite reliable. Additionally its such a good engine its found in many other Mercedes cars from E classes to SL's and many many others. Comparing it to a Yugo engine is a bit silly actually.

Additionally as powerful as the V8's are they are not very efficent engines. My 6cyl engine develops 230 HP while the V8 found in the 220 chassis only develops 302hp. For as much gas as the V8 consumes and the additional cost in servicing you would think that you would get a bit more than 72hp for your trouble. With 2 more cylenders and almost 2L more displacement than the 6 you would think they could have squeezed more than 72 horsepower out of it. I wonder what the HP advantage would really be considering the extra weight of the V8 block? Comparing this whopping 72 horsepower to an aircraft engine is just as silly as the Yugo comparison. BTW Yugo's have 3 cylenders! FYI!

While it might make you feel superior to have the S500 badge on the back of your 140 your paying a premium for (maint and fuel) it and not getting much back in return. The bottom end S280 sedan is not even sold here in the US as many Americans don't do much real thinking when it comes to engines they just want their V8 regardless if they get any real advantage from it.

As for the V12 engine I think your comparing apples and oranges. The V12 140 is really a supercar in disguise. While you might make a similar claim at how horrible Ferrari engines are they like the V12 were produced with a different mission in mind than transporting Yuppies back and forth from the office. They require a lot of specialized care that most owners just can't afford. Quite honestly Im really surprised that MBUSA still imports them as we don't have any suitable roads to drive them here. Most of those cars idle in bumper to bumper traffic driven by owners that would crash and die if given a suitable stretch of road to open them up. Sad really.