View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Burton
I missed that. The thermostat controls and directs flow through the radiator. I'm 95% sure your #1 problem is that without a thermostat, less coolant is going through your radiator. I wouldn't change the water pump unless you know it's bad. And another flush might really be worth it, flushing through the drain plug in the block and using the correct coolant.
I disagree.

The thermostat offers a significant reduction in the available pipe diameter simply do to it's design. It cannot flow anywhere near the amout of fluid than an open hose can flow.

So, if the thermostat is removed, the flow past the point where the thermostat would live is significantly increased.

The loss of flow to the bypass line is not large enough to offset the increase in flow due to the removal of the thermostat.

Every member who has removed the thermostat has observed a reduction in engine temperatures.

I'm still waiting for someone to overheat a 617 with the thermostat removed.

The problem with many of the radiators is an accumulation of debris between the fins on the outside of the radiator. It must be removed from the vehicle and thoroughly cleaned with compressed air, a water pressure washer, a condenser cleaner, or a combination of these methods.

If you hold the radiator up to the sun, you'll see the debris that has accumulated in the fins. All of it must be removed for proper airflow.

Chasing the water pump and replacing the thermostat is usually a waste of time and money.