View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 01:25 PM

My Take

As previously mentioned, I too hope its not the head gasket or any type of breach bet the cooling and engine.

Simple causes of overheating are usually bad stat and/or water pump.

With this aside, see if the water is in fact circulating once you get up to temp. I normally do this with the rad cap off while engine is cold and run it to temp. Don't have a 190 so don't know if it has rad cap or just a reservoir. Either way. (since you replaced water pump, there should be no question that it is circulating).

If you are getting heat from the heater, heater core should be ok.

Back to the breach thingy. I had a Ford Taurus that lost coolant all the time - no drips, no signs of where it was going. Averaging 1 gallon a week. this went on for 3 years. The car would overheat only on long distance trips (probably cuz the coolant gets depleated). The car ran fine until recently it started chugging, oil looked milky, milky condensation on oil fill cap.

Had the engine replaced ($1300) with 10k engine. old one had 170k. No more coolant loss.
96 C220
97 Explorer - Found Another Home
2000 Honda Accord V6 - Found Another Home
85 300D - Found Another Home
84 300D - Found Another Home
80 300TD - Found Another Home
Previous cars:
96 Caravan
87 Camry
84 Cressida
82 Vanagon
80 Fiesta