View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 06:49 PM

Oil in Expansion Tank - 87 300D

I went to check the coolant level today, and since I replaced the old green coolant with the proper clear coolant, I can't see the level from outside the tank. So I took the cap off, looked inside, and it was up to the proper level, but there were several drops of oil floating on top of the coolant This car does have the #14 head But when cold the upper hose does not have a bit of pressure. The car does have a little white smoke, but it doesn't smell like antifreeze at all. I have not noticed a drop in the oil level or the coolant level since I replaced both a few weeks ago. I had just purchased the car, and didn't notice oil in the coolant before I flushed the system. And I did flush it well, and made sure to open up the top, rear hose to bleed it properly. Haven't noticed any overheating issues either. I imagine the presence of oil is not a good sign. But since it doesn't have any pressure when cold, does this mean it's not coming from the head? Is it more likely a head gasket? How bad of a job is it to replace the gasket? Is there any hazards involved in driving it this way until I can get time to tear it apart?
87 300D - Running on Veggie oil; 260,000 plus miles; Original #14 head