View Single Post
Old 09-26-2001, 04:12 PM
al schultz
seat malfunction, 1989 560sl

Just a note to thank you for your input regarding my seat malfunction.....the more I thought about the problem, the more it seemed to me that it had to be a purely mechanical problem. I had checked the spring which you had mentioned, removed same and tested its tension prior to replacing it. On my last try I was looking under the seat, operating the mechanism and pulled back the carpet which pressed against the lower part of the rail. I was about to give up when I noticed something black in color sitting under the rail. It was about 2/3's of the way forward under the rail on the left side and I could move it. Thinking better of this I checked the opposite seat and found no plastic piece. Returning to the drivers seat, I carefully removed the piece which was wedged under the seat rail, noting that there was an indentation in the floor where it had sat and leading forwrd to another indentation with a small depression between the two. It appears that the plastic cap had been wedged for some time and, on occaision, would move backwards, preventing the seat from pivoting downward. It is a small black cap with a small gummed prominence inside the cap, presumably to hold the cap on wherever it belongs. As to where that this time I have no idea! The seat now works great! Thanks, again for you assistance!