View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 09:08 AM

2mm measurement - interpretation please...

I did the valve adjustment last weekend and gave it a new valve cover gasket, also the valve cover itself developed a nice shine...

I took time to measure the timing chain stretch (cam timing) using the 2mm method - it was a real pain to get the dial guage just right for the measurement but that was the worst of it. Just to be sure here's what I did:

1) Removed valve lash (0 clearance)
2) Set the dial indicator on 2nd valve from the front (Intake) resting the foot of the indicator on the cam follower
3) Rotated the engine Clockwise at the crankshaft until I got 2 mm valve lift (had to do it a couple of times to get it just right).
4) When it reached 2mm lift I noted the reading at the balancer - it was 14-15 degrees (see the terrible pic attached)

According to what I've read I should now subtract 11 degrees for the used chain on OE617.952, therefore 15-11=4 degree stretch, right?!

How is that - is this tolerable or do I need a Woodruf key?! If so, what size?

Also, would I need to be concerned about IP timing being off with this chain stretch?! The marks on the IP are lined up perfectly (don't believe it was touched).

What say ya?
MF
Attached Thumbnails
2mm measurement - interpretation please...-hansi_15deg_atdc.jpg  
1995 Toyota Land Cruiser - 3X locked; 182K