View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 03:25 PM
jumping on the wagon

what to watch out for?

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the Mercedes diesel world, but I'm tired of my crappy petroleum-based vehicle and I'm on the hunt for a Mercedes to run on biodiesel. I chose Mercedes because I hate VW and it seems like the diesel engines go forever, plus the used vehicles on the market seem way better maintained than anything out there.

After doing some research, I see a lot of positive things about the Mercedes diesel, and a lot of people are running them on bio. My question for this forum is about what I should beware of while shopping the market? Are there certain negative aspects about any particular years or models of the Mercedes diesel? Any warnings pertaining to making the biodiesel crossover? What about this aspect of biodiesel acting as a solvent that can loosen up all the gunk in the fuel lines of an old engine and cause problems?

I'm really excited about finding this car. I think I've narrowed it down to an early 80's turbo diesel with less than 200k miles. Any guidance you folks want to give me will be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!