View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
One question - I've been sizing up the IP pump trying to find all the screws that I'll need to loosen (supposedly 4 screws) - I only see two of them and the one between the IP and the engine looks like it will be a bear to get to...

Anybody have a diagram on where the screws are located on the IP so I have a better idea!? I'm sweating any work related to Timing and/or IP...
No diagram, but three cap screws are easily found on the IP forward flange. One is down underneath.

The fourth cap screw is a nightmare. The first problem is finding it. You must find it without the capability of seeing it. It lives way down at the bottom of the IP and you must access it from the top of the IP with a very long box wrench. The wrench doesn't have enough swing with the rack damper pin in place, so, you'll have to remove that. Also, you may need to bend the wrench slightly to give the head a touch of offset, otherwise you'll not get it onto the head of the cap screw.

Now, to find the cap screw...........you need to lay on top of the engine and peer down with a strong light between the IP and the oil filter housing. Look down in the space between the rack damper screw and the valve cover. Way down there, you might just be able to see the very top of the cap screw. Then, you must thread the box wrench all the way down and pick up the cap screw and move it 1/12 of a turn. It's damn near like surgery.........like I said.........a royal PITA the first time you do it.

If you had any thoughts of checking out this screw from below, you can just dispense with that idea right now. It's invisible from that angle.