View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 08:43 PM

WOW 150K on it, way too soon for something like this to happen ("damn straight" I can hear you say). And wife says no expensive noises? You should at least get the entertainment value of hear things crunch. BIG problem now is this guy saying $2K for removing the intake and valve covers. Don't know how to get around that, not much on that end of things. I think tomguy may be wrong, and he can correct me, but rails mean pulling the timing covers off, big work. I still think the mechanic is way high, but yeah a considerable more amount of work, but expected, usually a busted chain wipes those out pretty quick. But wife should have heard a pretty loud commotion out front. How'd the guy arrive at the fact it needs a waterpump, this damage should have no bearing on the water pump at all, just thought he'd look around for MORE work to do? Have you have to add coolant or in any other way can you verify the pump was going? It's good to want to do SOME extra work, in the case where you'd have the pump removed anyways (such as removing the timing covers) and it seems rough or noisey for example, and an honorable man would just throw it in on the deal (the labor) if it is removed/installed in the course of the work at hand (I know the pump on these V8's are pricey btw, so maybe the $400 IS just for the part). BUT the thing that bothers me about this guy is that if he just has the valve covers and intake manifold off, how does he know at this point the water pump should be replaced? Guy sounds really flaky to me.

Gilly