View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 10:53 PM

Please read entire thread for final outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpilot View Post
Hi. I am new to my 1986 SL and like many this summer am needing the ac badly. The center vents just went out on me yesterday. I do not understand why they went out and how the nice cold air is now coming from the defroster (top vents). Also, not sure if I understood on here how to tell if it is a vaccuum leak by turning the car off and seeing how the ac works. I am not one to be able to get in the car and tear stuff apart. I will probably do more damage but I want to understand and be prepared when I take it somewhere. Also, any ideas of anyone in Dallas to take it to?

Thank you all.

Marla
Marla,

Please consider finding a Independent that will check your vacuum system for about $85. After they determine where your problem is you can then decide if you trust them and want to pay the cost of ther suggested repair. You may need to go to several Independents and ask them what it would cost to replace just the center vent actuator. This is usually what needs to be replaced if the center vents are not working. If they tell you it will require that they remove the dash leave and go somewhere else. The center actuator can be fixed by going threw the radio/climate control area of your center consol. It is difficult but can be done. I paid an Indy $450.00. Or you can go to a Dealership and pay an arm and a leg (approx. $1,700.00+) but be pretty much garanteed.

2000 SL500 Silver
2000 SL500 SOLD
1989 560SL SOLD
1988 560SL SOLD

Last edited by lynns; 10-24-2007 at 10:37 AM.