View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 03:25 PM
1986 300SDL in Austin TX

Another 603 ALDA story

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my ALDA experience. I was able to pull it off without taking the manifold off. I didn't have a 24mm wrench, so I used two Stanley brand crescent wrenches that I bought at Walmart.

It took me a while to wiggle it off. The trick is to wiggle it towards the rear of the car as the screw-enclosure won't let you clear the IP lines. Pull off the rubber hose first.

My ALDA screw head also started to crack.. I gave it some anti-sieze spray. Then I used the supplied nut to hold the head together while twisting it loose.

Turn the nut so it is flush with the top of the head, and it will keep the screw head from splitting.

My impressions?

Whoa! Its like a new car! I turned it CCW all the way, and then back 1/2 turn. It smokes alot starting out, but the performance is incredible. All of a sudden my transmission shifts aren't as hard either. Engine temp seems to be cooler too?

I'm going to try turning it all the way and then try to find a happy medium.

I also have a 2001 dodge diesel and when I put a chip in it that increased the fueling it was also a 'whoa baby' difference. Not as huge of a difference on the mercedes, but definately alot more driveable. I no longer have to floor it to get it moving.

I used to have a 2004 Volkswagen Passat TDI diesel wagon and would enjoy blacklunging people behind me. On my first test-ride last night at 1am, I blacklunged the cop car that was behind me at two sequential stop lights.

Thank goodness they changed the law so mere 'exhibition of acceleration' is no longer a crime.