View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 11:02 PM

Incompetant Mechanics

I just recieved all the service records for my car dating back to 1997, and noticed something really disturbing. When I bought the car, it had no low end power and hard shifting between low gears, which turned out to be caused by a dried out seal on the ALDA, which I imagine is a common problem because of how hot it gets where the ALDA is mounted on the 6 cylindar. Anyway, all the way back to 1997 the previous owners had taken the car in for the same exact problem on several occasions, and spent over $12k trying to get it fixed. All the mechanics had Mercedes as part of their name. Not one time did any of the reciepts state anything about the ALDA. They had the turbo and transmission rebuilt because of this problem, new transmission modulator, and a list of other parts and adjustments. The car has had less than 60k miles put on since 1997, and been trough 4 owners, probably each one got frustrated after spending all this money only to keep having the same problem. I bet they would all be pissed to know I fixed it with a 10 cent O ring!
87 300D - Running on Veggie oil; 260,000 plus miles; Original #14 head