View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Conservative Radical

DIYers Unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I've bought and sold a bunch of W123s in the past few years and your story is not unique. Power steering pump filters that are the "old' style, still in use, oil filter stem O rings that have never been changed after being serviced by "reputable" import car shops.
things "mickey moused" together just too "get it out the door", Not too mention exorbitant prices charged. Yah, when you read the service records then start digging into the car, the lesson learned is too DO YOUR OWN WORK ;-)
Stevo, We had a Volvo with the wonderful "check engine" light on. I took it to my local mechanic with all the latest Snap On diagnostic computers and he would charge me $150 to $250 on three occasions, but the light never went off, and he told me to take it to the Volvo dealer.

I had always done my own work in the past, and events like this have pushed me to NEVER let anyone touch my cars again. I am sick of hamfisted morons claiming to be a mechanic charging me for their on the job training. They all hate me anyway, because I know enough to be a pain in the ass to them. I still have to go for inspections, but with our old cars we are exempt from emissions in NY State, so I just have to pay for the $10 safety inspection

I just fixed the aux fan on my wife's car by pulling it apart, cleaning it, lubing the bearing, changing the fuse and reinstalling. It cost me nothing but an hour of my time, but if I had gone to someone, I would have been waiting for a part and I am sure I would have been out at least $200.

I agree with you DO YOUR OWN WORK. Then at least you know what you have, be it good or bad. Working on my own cars is also great therapy for me. Believe it or not, it is relaxing to me, and I get a real sense of satisfaction.

1987 300TD x 3
2005 E320CDI