View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 12:41 PM

DIY: mini fan belt R/R W210 turbodiesel

here's a brief pictorial covering the replacement of the mini-fan belt for the electric fan in front of the radiator. Subject car is a 1999 E300D. It's my understanding that this same design is found on some of the gas engine cars. It should be easy to visually identify. I can spin the right fan by hand and the left fan spins at the same time

Written procedure courtesy of Matt L:

Quote:
If your fan is in front of the radiator:

1. Remove the plastic guard

2. Remove clips that hold the radiator to the core-support top cross-member

3. Remove the top cross-member itself (unclip the cable for the hood release underneath)

4. Undo the three (two on my car) bolts holding the power-steering cooling line so it can be pushed out of the way (this line need not be disconnected).

5. Remove the horn and hood bumper and the bracket that holds them to the front bumper frame

6. Undo the electrical cable connection (remove plastic cover to access)

7. Remove the two bolts at the top of the fan assembly. Lift fan assembly out

My picture numbering will correspond to the above text.

This job is quite simple. A few basic hand tools and two sockets are needed . I took this opportunity to clean up the A/C condensor and vacuum out a lot of bugs and stray leaves. I took my time (about 1 hour) and made everything nice, admired the amazing gaskets/seals/weather-stripping the Germans love to incorporate in their cars and condition rubber seals & mounting points.

Step 1. (two plastic tabs are rotated CCW 90 degrees. This light, plastic guard is lifted straight up and set aside)

Step 2. (two "M" shaped clips with rubber insert pull straight up and release top edge of radiator)

Step 3. (remove the 4 bolts atop the cross member. I just folded the sheet metal back and did not disconnect the hood release cable clip - - see lower foto)

Step 4. (You need to remove the power steering bolts, pictured below, before you can access the final bolt holding the bracket in the picture above)

Step 5. (remove 3 lower bolts, remove the bracket, the hood bumper and horn)

Step 6. (remove the plastic cover and disconnect by squeezing the two tabs, pull cable off)

Step 7. (once the two screws are removed, this fan assy will left up and out. I had to wiggle it around to get is passed the PS cooler lines.)

Last edited by uberwgn; 08-08-2006 at 03:10 PM.