View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Have gunsight will travel

1992 500E Check Engine Light on, but no code?

This is my 3rd W124 and I've always been able to get a code form the 8 pin connector (right side of car) with the LED. This car is not returning one.

1992 500E. 140,000 miles. Runs fine, although a little (just a tiny bit) rough since the light came on. It light after being parked at work for the day. I can't think of any event/incident that occured related to light. It just appeard.

What I have done:

- turned on ignition, engine NOT running, held down button in 8-pin connector for 3 seconds. LED on solid while holding down button. Released. Nothing (not even the single blink saying it's alive).

Cycled ignition and did it againg for 5 seconds. No acknowlege blink.

Cycled ignition once more time, held for 10 seconds (or more) and released. No blink. Turned off ignition for 1 min. Turned on. Waited at least 10 seconds and restarted. CEL still lit.

I'm perplexed. If I could read a code then I'd have something to go on here.. but.. nada. My local mechanic (who is almost 100 driving miles away.. not very local huh) said to check some fuses external from the fuse box, typically located near the battery. I found a pair of 5 ones in a seperate snap-top box but both are fine.

Totally at a loss here. I'd like to get the CEL to go away.. far far away.. but I'd also like to find out why it came on in the first place. Do I need to abandon my simplistic method of holding down the light in that 8-pin connector block and build one of Jim's RS scan projects and start plugging it into various combinations of the X11/?? connector?

HELP!?

PS. I've spend the last 3 hours looking at threads back to 2004 and so far.. nothing about a DTC that does have a working LED but does not serve up any code..
1995 993 C2 - race modified (auto-x weapon)
2000 Durango - parts and dirt bike hauler
2005 KTM950S - Baja, here I come!!!
Bloggy blogger blog