View Single Post
Old 04-26-1999, 01:04 AM
olc

I just got an E320 with the Bose "upgrade" (couldn't find a moonroof without it) and discovered the ridiculous price of the dealer-installed CD changer, basically a $400 Alpine with a $600 MB logo. There is no adaptor for the fiber optic controller to use any after market changer, at least not yet. (BMW has a similar situation and an adaptor is iminent.)

The stock head unit is OK for the 2 cassettes I own, but the FM reception leaves a lot to be desired, and the Bose-awful bass has to be seriously attenuated.

I'm not looking for anything exotic. I'd settle for a good in-dash CD receiver that looked like it belonged in the car, but most I've found would look out of place. Anyone have suggestions?

In addition, I'm having trouble getting info on the exact specs of what's in the system. I'm guessing that there are front door pillar tweeters, dash mids, and front door woofers plus package shelf full-range. Is this correct? If so has anyone cured the Bose EQ effects by replacing the amp/crossovers? Any info on this system and it's compatibility with any aftermarket cost-effective improvements gratefully received.