View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 10:34 AM

Hi Larry

I just repaired a similar problem on my 190e. My compressor was kicking off so I decided to remove the clutch to clean it up. When I tried to remove it I held the outer part with a large pair of channel locks while trying to undo the 12mm center bolt. I couldn't get the bolt loose since it just kept turning. On closer inspection I discovered that the clutch had failed. There are two pieces of metal held together by a rubber ring that make up the removable portion of the clutch. This rubber acts as a shock absorber when the compressor engages. This rubber had failed which allowed the inner and outer pieces of metal to spin independant of one another. When turned bt hand everything was OK, but under load there was slippage which caused the compressor to disengage. I had an old clutch laying around from my dad's 300e and replaced just the outer part. Everything works fine now. In order to remove the bad clutch I had to pry the two pieces of metal apart, get the rubber ring out, then hold the inner metal part with a channel lock plier. I did all this with the compressor in place so I wouldn't loose the r-12 and have to recharge. It would be much easier with the compressor out of the car.

Pete