View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 08:28 PM

Our new 240D - an introduction

Been lurking and learning for months now and would like to introduce myself and to announce that our search for an M-B diesel (to eventually convert to WVO) has come to a, so far very pleasant, end with us now owning a 1981 240D - the slow and mellow ride.

The car just turned 200K the week after we took ownership. It is "Pastel Grey" with black interior, has a new radiator and A/C compressor, the original Becker - Mexico radio and is low on frills like electric seats and windows for which I'm glad. (This last bit might be common with the 240's as far as I know.)

The car has an extra gas tank in case lines ever start forming out here in Los Angeles (I remember seeing pictures of 'em growing up in Kentucky - and yeah, I've seen that a few of you are from "back home") and after a week we are extremely happy as it is a blast to drive, has a super small turning circle and feels like a car suited to adults.

There are a few small bits that will need attention that would probably be best given their own or attached to an old thread; seam split in the back seat, non-working reverse lights, headliner "tent poles" seem to have collapsed, cruise control mia, but all in all it is very complete, doesn't seem to leak and starts and stops quickly.

As y'all probably know, prices for older diesels have gone through the roof and I'd be surprised if they are any higher than here in California. What a mania.
We kinda got caught up in the mania for a while to be honest, until we were brought to our senses as to what we could afford to put into our WVO project - meaning, 6K+ for a 300d (with a salvage title) was out of our reach.

I ended up trading an indy German car mechanic my 1988 BMW K100RS SE for this 240D that he was looking to sell. He was asking $2400 for the car, I was asking $2200 for the bike - next thing you know: deal. We both wanted to move something and he was looking for a bike to ride around for a bit. Pefect. My wife is currently on a bold first trip up to Fresno and was very pleased with the 240's performance at The Grapevine.

Now if we can just find a good home for the Oldsmobile - my wife'll be crying when The Baby leaves.

Apologies for rambling. Thanks for this Forum and your contributions. I wish I could say I'm gonna be a new source of info for y'all, but I'm more like Steve Martin in the beginning of The Jerk in that I'll need to be told the difference between s**t and shinola when it comes to this cool old car.

Ride/Drive safe.

Hosenpants

Sold due (in part) to now owning a child:
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass - "The Baby" 160K mi.
2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 - 7.5K mi.)