View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
All I was trying to say was that the compressed air temperature (at a given pressure) will be about the same regardless of the size of the turbo. If I compress 500 cfm to 15 psi with a small turbo, the temperature will be the same as if I compress 1000 cfm to 15 psi with a bigger turbo. If I use a big turbo to compress only 500 cfm to 15 psi (by spinning it slower), the air temperature should still be about the same. There will be some difference due to the efficiency of the turbo, but if they are well designed and matched to the engine, the temperatures should be close.

I'm not saying it doesn't affect engine performance for other reasons, but I don't believe you will automatically decrease the air temperature by just using a bigger turbo.
You and Sixto are saying the same thing.

If you use a small Garrett turbo and you need 17 psi to get your power, you'll get a certain air temperature........which may be so high that it's inefficient in the total package.

If you use a slightly larger turbo, you need only 14 psi to get the same amount of power..........for the same cfm. The air is cooler and the efficiency is higher.